Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unexpected Moments

This is a rare, unexpected moment of bliss.

I arose in a grouchy mood at 5:25 a.m. because Isaiah would not sleep.

Mondays and Tuesdays are days when Michelle goes to work. That means I get the children up, dressed, fed and off to day care before hustling to catch the bus to work. It's an hour of hectic, frenetic activity in which I keep a mental checklist for how the routine should go seamlessly and then watch as it all unravels.

This morning appeared to be no different. Isaiah, despite Michelle's best efforts to leave him in a content, slumbering state of mind when she exited the room, was agitated. He tossed, he turned, he swiveled, he arched his back, craned his neck. He exhaled mightily, fussed, groaned and finally cried. It was clear he would not drift back to sleep, so that meant I needed to get up, even though I didn't want to.

So, up I got and stumbled downstairs to heat a bottle of mommy milk. Glass bottle of the good stuff in fridge? Check. Fill coffee cup with water and warm the water in microwave? Check. Put bottle in coffee cup, so milk can warm? Check. Wait five minutes. Try not to fall asleep while standing. Check temperature of bottle. Reheat water in coffee cup and repeat subsequent sequences. Once I had deemed the bottle (and the milk) sufficiently warmed, I trudged upstairs to roust Isaiah from his crib and give him a bottle. If all goes swimmingly, this will top him off, so to speak, satiate him enough, that he will ease off contentedly into slumber. And I can then turn my attention to his older brother, who by then should be stirring.

I walked into Isaiah's room, and lo and behold, not a peep from the crib. I crept in, tippy toe, looked over the rail, and there he was, on his side, asleep. Well, I'll be. I crept backwards, slowly, taking care to avoid the creaks in the floor, and gingerly closed the door.

Fifteen minutes later, still no sounds. It's still, and it's silent. I have a cup of coffee (Dean's Beans, Arctic Sunrise – I highly recommend it.). For a precious few minutes, it's just me and my thoughts.

Bliss, my friends. A rare, unexpected moment of bliss on a Tuesday morning.

No comments: