Thursday, March 6, 2008

New Heading

I've got some changes to make to my heading.

You know, that description right below the name of my blog, that self-serving bit, that mini-biography. That "This is who I am." My credentials. My badge.

The reason why I need to update that ego paragraph is I have a new job. Two weeks ago, I joined Brown University as a physical sciences writer. The position is in the Media Relations office, which means I serve the news, rather than having the news served to me.

It's an odd transition for me, as I've been a journalist for the past 13 years. But it fits nicely with the master's degree I obtained last spring in science journalism and it matches my growing interest in the sciences. I cover multiple departments at Brown, including chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, applied mathematics, physics, geological sciences and planetary geological sciences. That's a whole lot of science, and a whole lot of professors working on a whole host of things. I think there are a lot of good nuggets in those mines. My job is to shovel them out.

Meantime, I aim to keep writing – with the luxury of pursuing stories I really want to write about rather than writing (many, but not all) stories simply to pay the bills. I have a cushion, and I hope to use that to keep some toes in journalism.

Heck, maybe I'll get begin posting regularly to my blog again.

1 comment:

Leeann said...

He's back!

It's been too long, stranger!

:-)

Leeann